[Cut Open] driveworks DW-4651 China made

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDW

Stepson brought this to me last night and said to cut open. Have to say this is the strongest can I have yet to open . 60 pleats.

4159f6d8-05f3-4fe2-aca1-077d73ee798a_zpsf15ddcc7.jpg

eb6187e0-756c-4e2f-a779-1a0f8c31f2a6_zps24228f1b.jpg

0f0d3a5f-67c5-4bc8-8dd9-808b13bccf96_zpsb8092914.jpg

IMG_0399_zpsdfedc132.jpg

7fa22880-cee4-4b1f-bea1-6f728dd51a39_zpsd3cc191b.jpg

True Tex , I am very surprised how this thing is put together looks better made than a orange can IMPO, Top cap has small tips to keep it firm in the can as well . New thing I have seen.

Thanks for sharing.

Although it's China-made, it appears to be a decent quality filter. It would be interesting to see how it holds up after a 7.5k OCI.

I don't understand how a cheap Chinese filter can have uniform, UNWAVY pleats while so many American made, name brand filters can not.

It seems that QC is lacking in some of our name brand filters.

I really do like these Chinese made private label filters. Our shop uses Pro Gauge filters on all non Hyundai vehicles. They are nearly identical to the Driveworks. The only real difference is the base plate. They are stout filters and I have no reason to believe that they are not as good as any name brand filter. In fact, I would rather use one of these than a Purolator. I am weird like that. I also like the e-cores.

Going to have to run one on my DD
wink.gif

Heavy base plate

239be853-7f9a-43b8-b5c7-5e1908b57bd6_zps5e62ae3b.jpg

Looks like a "true" spiral tube with many holes.

af965337-9a74-4234-947a-bb5b6897a2c1_zps9b793fe2.jpg

Tips on cap

11a93d85-3dc5-4d05-826f-c2e713a5c9a4_zpse67309e6.jpg

Originally Posted By: salv
I really do like these Chinese made private label filters. Our shop uses Pro Gauge filters on all non Hyundai vehicles. They are nearly identical to the Driveworks. The only real difference is the base plate. They are stout filters and I have no reason to believe that they are not as good as any name brand filter. In fact, I would rather use one of these than a Purolator. I am weird like that. I also like the e-cores.

Why not Hyundai?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: salv

Why not Hyundai?

Because we are a Hyundai dealer. The Hyundai filter is a bulletproof filter. If they fit either of my vehicles I would run them.

That Driveworks filter looks very well constructed. Too bad we don't know the efficiency specs. Wonder if there is any way to get the specs on these back through the distributor?

Here is some info on this model from Advance

Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: Yes
Filter Type/Category: Spin On
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.477 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.84 in
Height: 3.73 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 200 PSI
Micron Rating: > 5 mc
Recommended Change Interval: Use OE Recommendation
Relief Valve Opening Pressure: 8-16 PSI
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: M22X1.5-6H Special

Here is what I saw on the AAP website for the DW-4459 filter:

Customer Q&A:
Quote:

Q: What is the filtration percentage? Purolator lists this information on the box, but I cannot find the information on your box or the website.
Asked on 8/7/2013 by Shelby from Raleigh, NC

1 answer
CUSTOMER CARE
A: The nominal micron rating for this Driveworks Oil Filter - part# DW-4459 would be 19. For any further assistance, please feel free to call us at: 1-877-238-2623 or visit the nearest Advance Auto Parts store and one of our Parts Pros will gladly assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.
Answered on 8/7/2013 by Vincent from AAP

Take it for what it's worth I guess!

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Are the end caps galvanized metal?

The china filters always seam to look good.

Yes they are. And as well feel ticker than a MC setting next to it. Canister is defiantly thicker.

Quote:
Here is some info on this model from Advance...

Micron Rating: > 5 mc....

Which is the equivalent of completely meaningless. Without a percent and the testing method listed that figure means nothing. Yes, the unused DW has straight pleats, but so did the two unused Purolators posted here recently.

As has been said many times before here since it's intro, the DW appears to be a well made filter. But with an unknown/unpublished efficiency it could well be nothing more than a rock catcher like the Honda A02.

As for answer from AAP, they can't find an efficiency because there is none published.

Probably to 95+% of the population one oil filter is the same as another. The price usually determines what is bought if doing their own OCI, or whatever the shop uses if they pay to have it done. How many people really keep their vehicles for a long time, they don't care about the oil filter's being efficient or well made and reliable.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back